Here’s a little bit about the city of Lakewood if you are looking for a Tax Attorney Lakewood Ohio.
Lakewood is a city in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States, on the southern shore of Lake Erie. Established in 1889, it is one of Cleveland’s historical streetcar suburbs and part of the Greater Cleveland Metropolitan Area. The population was 52,131 at the 2010 United States Census, making it the third largest city in Cuyahoga County, behind Cleveland and Parma. Lakewood is home to a young and diverse population, including a significant number of immigrants. Its population density is the highest of any city in Ohio and is roughly comparable to that of Los Angeles.
Lakewood was incorporated as a village in 1889, and named for its lakefront location. The wilderness west of the Cuyahoga River was delayed being settled due to a treaty the American government made with the Native Americans in 1785, whereby no white man was to settle on that land. Consequently, when Moses Cleaveland arrived in 1796, his activities were confined to the east side of the river.
The area now called Lakewood was populated by the Ottawa, Potawatomi, Chippewa, Wyandot, Munsee, Delaware and Shawnee tribes until the Treaty of Ft. Industry pushed them west in 1805. The treaty, signed at Ft. Industry near what is now downtown Toledo, Ohio, ceded 500,000 acres of some of the tribes’ land to the United States for about $18,000 or 3.5 cents/acre. The Shawnee and Seneca, living with the Wyandot, were to get $1000 “…every year forever hereafter.”
The area now occupied by Lakewood, Rocky River, Fairview Park, and West Park was purchased from the Connecticut Land Company by a syndicate of six men headed by Judson Canfield on April 4, 1807, for $26,084.
In 1806 the area was formally surveyed as Rockport Township. In 1818, permanent settlement began with the arrival from Connecticut of James Nicholson. Other early pioneers included Jared Kirtland and Mars Wager. Settlements were mostly along Detroit Avenue, a toll road operated by the Rockport Plank Company from 1848 to 1901, with large farms and properties extending north to Lake Erie. Making bricks and planting orchards were among the most prolific occupations until natural gas and oil wells were developed in the early 1880s.
By 1819 18 families lived in Rockport Township. In 1893, streetcars came to Lakewood with the construction of the Detroit Avenue line, followed by the Clifton Boulevard line in 1903 and the Madison Avenue line in 1916.
Lakewood, the first suburb west of Cleveland on the shores of Lake Erie, began as Township 7, Range 14, of the Connecticut Western Reserve in 1805. It was a wooded wilderness through which cut the old Huron Post Road that ran from Buffalo, New York, to Detroit, Michigan. In 1819 a small group of eighteen families living in the area of present-day Lakewood, Rocky River, and part of Cleveland’s West Park neighborhood named the growing community Rockport Township. In April of that year, the first election took place in Rufus Wright’s tavern with a member of each household present. Three were elected as trustees: Henry Alger, Erastus Johnson, and Rufus Wright. Elected as overseers of the poor were James Nicholson and Samuel Dean. Henry Canfield was elected clerk. This type of government served Rockport for the next 70 years, with an election held each year.
In 1889 East Rockport, with 400 residents, separated from the township and became the Hamlet of Lakewood. Settlement accelerated rapidly, with Lakewood becoming a village with 3,500 residents in 1903. City status, with 12,000 residents, came just eight years later. By 1930 the population of Lakewood was 70,509.
Lakewood is located at 41°28′51″N 81°48′1″W (41.480881, -81.800360), about 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Downtown Cleveland. The city borders Lake Erie to the north, the Cleveland neighborhoods of Edgewater and Cudell to the east, and the neighborhoods of Jefferson and Kamm’s Corners to the south. It borders the suburb of Rocky River to the west at the Rocky River valley. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.69 square miles (17.33 km2), of which 5.53 square miles (14.32 km2) is land and 1.16 square miles (3.00 km2) is water.
Lakewood is home to several high rises, spread throughout the city. Most are concentrated on the Gold Coast, and, to a lesser extent, in Downtown Lakewood. The Gold Coast includes Winton Place Condos, Carlyle Condominiums on the Lake, The Meridian, The Waterford Condos, Marine Towers West, Marine Towers East, Imperial House, The Envoy, Twelve Thousand Edgewater, The Shoreham Apartments, Edgewater Towers, Lake House Condominiums, The Berkshire Condominiums, and Lake Shore Towers. Downtown high rises include Lakewood Center North (186 ft), the municipality’s tallest office building with 15 floors of office space and is the largest private office building in Cuyahoga County outside of Downtown Cleveland, based on total square footage. Other high rises in Downtown Lakewood include the INA Building (the first medical office building ever constructed), the Westerly West Building, the Westerly East Building, the Westerly South Building, and Northwesterly. Additional high rises in Lakewood include Castlewood Apartments, Richard Hilliard House Condominiums, Fedor Manor, Harbour View Apartments, Commodore Club Apartments, Mayfair Apartments.
Lakewood’s ethnic mosaic includes Albanian, Arab, Chinese, German, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Mexican, Nepalese, Puerto Rican, Polish, Russian, Slovak, and Ukrainian ancestries. As of 2019, 12.2% spoke a language other than English at home, including Arabic, Spanish, Albanian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, and Hungarian. The community is a hotspot for immigrants, arriving primarily from Southeast Europe (especially Albania, Romania, Greece, and the former Yugoslavia), the Middle East (Lebanon, Syria, and Iran), South Asia (India, Nepal, and Myanmar), and the former USSR (Russia, Uzbekistan, and Ukraine). The foreign-born population was approximately 8.6% in 2019.
If you are looking for a tax attorney Lakewood Ohio, you are at the right spot. Give us a call today at 330-331-7611.